Cybersecurity and IoT
IoT (Internet of Things) is an advanced automation and analytics system which exploits networking, sensing, big data, and artificial intelligence technology to deliver complete systems for a product or service. These systems allow greater transparency, control, and performance when applied to any industry or system.
IoT systems have applications across industries through their unique flexibility and ability to be suitable in any environment. They enhance data collection, automation, operations, and much more through smart devices and powerful enabling technology.
Cybersecurity is a potential activity by which information and other communication systems are protected from and/or defended against the unauthorized use or modification or exploitation or even theft.
Likewise, cybersecurity is a well-designed technique to protect computers, networks, different programs, personal data, etc., from unauthorized access.
There will be a considerable need of web developers and cyber experts who may handle such critical threats because in the future if IOT is very huge as more and more devices are being connected to the internet every day. Challenges with cybersecurity involve device security, data security, and protection of individual’s privacy.
- The aftermath of these cyberattacks may be very dangerous as it may lead to loss of very private and important data like bank details and passwords that may lead to various bank scams resulting in economic damage.
- Cyber-attacks also damage the reputation of companies as a trustful relationship is not possible between two companies or between the company and their customers because customers then consider the company unworthy of their trust as they could not handle their information properly resulting in further loss in customers and profits.
- If a person in charge of managing customer data has failed somehow allowing their data to be leaked, they must suffer legally.
- If the data involves information regarding people of a country and is managed by a company based in another country, things may even escalate to a level that may result in increased global tensions.
Various ways to tackle security problems are:
- Maintenance of accurate data of all IoT devices their lifecycle and characteristics which help us to prevent a certain level of risk.
- Identification of all possible software and firmware threats so that loopholes may be anticipated and corrected timely.
- Providing restricted access to data helps it to be more secure.
- The monitoring of devices can also take place that helps us to identify any malicious activity happening on a device.
- Frequent backup of data with regular updation in software can also protect us from facing potential consequences of cyber-attack.
In near future, we can see a lot of scope for web developers and cyber experts in IoT also leading to the creation of certain new job titles. The demand for such professionals would be unimaginable in the coming times for IoT plans to grow exponentially in the years ahead.